I love Italian food and I now love anything that saves me time during the hectic week. Let's face it, getting dinner on the table isn't the easiest thing some days. I know it's my own fault because I do spend too much time with my kids (is there really such a thing?) and not enough time being a domestic goddess (as in my pre-baby days). Enter my slow cooker. It is awesome and I just got a brand new 6qt one that has already proven it's worth!
Sorry for the lack of picture. I'll add it after dinner tomorrow night! (Yes you can make this the night before and let it sit in your fridge :) )
Slow Cooker Lasagna
Makes 6-10 servings (Depending on how big you cut the pieces!)
- 1 jar Pasta sauce
- 500ml Low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 box Whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 4 cups Greens (spinach, kale, etc.)
- 4 cups Squash (butternut, acorn, zucchini)
- 4 cups Mozzarella cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Combine cottage cheese, egg, pepper to taste and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Cut peeled squash into chunks and pulse in the food processor until minced.
- Place just enough pasta sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker to coat. Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with a single layer of noodles (break to fit). Layer 1/3 cottage cheese mixture, 1/3 chopped greens, 1/3 minced veggies, 1/2 cup pasta sauce and 1 cup mozza cheese. Repeat twice more.
- Cover the top layer with one more layer of noodles. Cover with pasta sauce, remaining parm and mozza cheeses. Cook at low for 4 hours.
My favorite combos for this are:
Red Swiss Chard & butternut and acorn squash
Spinach, shredded chicken & shredded carrots
I love how versatile this recipe is and that it is only limited by your imaginations. Austin eats this up and doesn't even realize how many veggies I'm packing on to his dinner plate!