Slider

The importance of cake

Monday, January 21, 2008

Cake..a food or a corner stone of celebration?

I think of it as an absolute necessity for each and every celebration. My earliest memories are of me sitting on a chair watching my mother decorate cake and then teaching me how to do it. I clearly remember my 3rd birthday. The party was outside and it was a fantastic summer day. My mom brought out her latest creation- a cake that was a clown holding a HUGE lollipop. I don't remember everyone that was there but I remember the warmth of the sun and my mom brining out the cake. What is a birthday without a cake that was designed just for the birthday bor or girl? What is a wedding without a cake that reflects the couple? It could be laid back cupcakes for the relaxed not to serious folk or an elegant fondant covered creation for those that want to impress.

It's amazing to me that simple ingrediants like egg, sugar, flour, butter and vanilla can turn into a clown, animal, car...the possibilities are endless and are only limited by the imagination of the creator. Cake makes people smile and fills a desire for something sweet, a hope of something spectacular and the joy that someone though of them.

This coming weekend I'm entering a creation into a cake contest based on literature. I have a vision in my head and I hope that I can bring it to life. My cake will be dedicated to my Aunt Marie who introduced us to Harry Potter and to my mom, little sister and friends who can't seem to get enough and will re-read the books for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan