Slider

The Heart of the Home

Monday, September 2, 2013

I am a Newfoundlander.

If you know anything about Newfoundland, that statement brings a lot of stereotypes, and many of them are true. I speak a little faster, cook whenever anyone is in need, cook way too much for almost every gathering and host parties in my kitchen.

The kitchen is the heart of almost every Newfoundland home. The kitchen is where the wood stove was located and was the warmest room in the house. People gathered there for its functionality and we still gather there now even though our laundry is done in the basement, the heat is evenly distributed through out the house.  Knowing how important the kitchen is in my culture, my friends were a little surprised when my husband and I bought a house with this kitchen:



One friend actually looked at me and said "well...it's nice but you did see the kitchen right?"

We painted the kitchen walls and cabinets for a inexpensive update and as we rebuilt walls and installed new floors throughout the rest of the house, I kept dreaming of the possibilities of a dream kitchen. My home improvement budget has been chewed up by unexpected issues such as no insulation in the basement and heating issues through out the house. My dream kitchen seemed like it was just that..a dream.

And then this happened:


We're into week 2.5 of this project and I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I can't wait to share more with you including some great tutorials to give you a champagne kitchen on a beer budget :)

Happy Labor Day!
Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan