Slider

Preschool snack...again

Thursday, February 7, 2013

 I feel like I'm devoting a lot of time to making snack these days. In reality it's been twice in the last couple of weeks but it's more baking then I've done in awhile.

Monday evening I was tired.  I had a sinus headache and after taking Austin out to the store to pick up supplies for A2 Designs orders (He insisted on coming with me so that we could have some "quantity" time together) we stopped in to Sobeys, grabbed some bananas and blueberries and headed home. I  had absolutely no idea what to make for snack.  I had already made granola bars and banana muffins just didn't sound like a winner. So I dragged open the iPad and opened my favorite app... Pinterest. I'm pretty sure a chorus of angels sing a heavenly tune and light beams from my screen every time I open it. I was on the hunt. I wanted something healthy that the kids wouldn't know was good for them. I came across a pin from the Fat Free Vegan. I've made some things from her site before but haven't been there in awhile. I looked at the recipe, decided on a few changes and went to work.

The cookies turned out really well and Ozzy said that the kids really liked them "...except baby Isaac because he was fussy but that's what little boys are like sometimes." (seriously folks I can't make up what comes out of this kid's mouth). They were super quick and I liked that they don't have much of anything processed in them, are simple and good for littles.



Banana Oatmeal "Cookies"
Recipe adapted from Fat Free Vegan

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal ( not instant)
1 tsp cinnamon
dash salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp flax meal
1 tbsp wheat germ
1/4 cup raisins
1 egg
2 medium bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup pure maple syrup

Combine the dry ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until they are combined.  I used a 1" scoop to make even sized cookies (the last thing teachers need is kids fighting over cookies not being the same size!) and baked them in the oven at 350 for 8 minutes. You need to watch these because if your internal baking clock is off they will burn. Learn from me people...set a timer. Because there is no fat added to these cookies, I really encourage you to line your baking sheet with parchment paper and then give it a light mist of cooking spray.

 I tried one and was really happy with how they turned out. Because there in no fat in these i was concerned that they would dry out overnight. To solve that problem I packed the cooled cookies in containers and placed a piece of bread in on top of them and closed the lid. In the morning, I simply removed the bread and had perfectly moist "cookies" to send to school!

I will be making these again!


1 comment:

  1. These are good...sometimes I would use dates instead of raisins and they are really yummy that way too! :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan