Slider

A WW dinner party

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kinda spur of the moment Sunday, we invited some friends over for dinner.

I've been doing pretty good with Weight Watchers and I didn't want to blow it by eating out (That and Mint.com reminded me that my restaurant budget for the month couldn't handle dinner out for 4). So I decided to just double what I was making for dinner, throw some dinner rolls together and voila! Dinner is served!



Turkey Shepard's Pie
(I found a recipe at Once a Month Mom and altered it)

1lb ground turkey
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 small zucchini, grated
1 medium carrot, grated
2 cups frozen peas
2 cups frozen corn
1 head cauliflower
4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp flour
thyme
salt, pepper
1/4 cup butter
parsley

In a large frying pan cook the onion and peppers with 1/2 tbsp olive oil. When soft, transfer to a prep bowl. Brown the turkey in the remaining olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Sprinkle the flour and stir to coat turkey. Add 1 cup of the chicken stock. season with thyme, salt and pepper. Once the  sauce has thickened, add the onion mixture back to the pan followed by the zucchini, carrot, peas and corn. Add more stock if needed. Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish and spread in an even layer.

Cook the cauliflower in 1 cup chicken stock. Puree and set aside. Cook the potatoes. Drain and mash per taste. Add the pureed cauliflower.Add 1/4 cup buttermilk and the butter. Spread evenly over the meat mixture. Sprinkle the top with parsley to taste. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Makes 8 servings. And at 6WWPP per serving you can have a dinner roll!!! (I have to say these were the best ones I've made yet)

Everyone loved it, the kids ate it up and didn't even realize that there were so many veggies in it and I didn't have a dinner hangover! I did have to send the rest of the dinner rolls home with our company though...they were so freaking good I could have polished them all off!










No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan