Slider

Snack time!

Friday, January 25, 2013


I've redeemed myself.

At Austin's preschool, parents take turns bringing in snack. In the Fall I sent over-sized blueberry muffins from Sobeys. That really wouldn't have been so bad expect that while I was off on maternity leave I sent Pinterest inspired snacks like rainbow fruit skewers and cupcakes made to look like tea cups. I also just prefer to feed my kids things that I have made versus store bought. So knowing that my turn was coming, I revisited my Pinterest Snack board to see what I could come up with...


Any they were very easy to make! I adapted the recipe and doubled it to make enough for the whole class.

No Bake Granola Bars

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

4 cups rolled oats (not instant)
2 cups rice krispies
2/3 cup raisins

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients.

Prepare the pan: spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Line with Parchment paper and spray that. Set aside.

In a small to medium pot, add the butter, sugar and honey. stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla (it will splutter and you'll be cleaning it off your stove forever if you don't wipe it up as soon as you can- just an FYI). Using a silicone spatula to get all of the sugar mixture, pour over the dry ingredients and stir to completely coat. Dump the mixture onto the baking pan. With slightly damp hands pant the mixture tight to one end of the pan. You need to make sure it is tightly packed or the bars will fall apart. Leave them to set for 2 hours, overnight is best.

I cut 24 bars (4x6) but you could cut them bigger if you like. I did find them a little sweet so I think next time I'm going to cut back the honey a little. I'm also going to experiment with the dry ingredients..we shall see if that will be an epic fail or another success! Amelia LOVED these and so did Austin and his classmates.

Let me know if you try them how they turn out!







No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan